* From an e-mail…
According state-wide polling data collected by Illinois Public Opinion Strategies there is fervent constituent support for the Cook County Sheriff’s proposed data transparency legislation (SB 1502/HB 2774).
Some of the numbers:
· More than 94 percent disapprove of corporations collecting, sharing, or selling personal data.
· More than 80 percent said they would use the law and request the names of the companies that have obtained personal data.
The Right to Know Act seeks to give consumers transparency into the types of personal data companies are collecting and to which third parties they’re selling it.
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like to speak with the Sheriff.
Director of Communications, Cook County Sheriff’s Office
The full poll and methodology is here. Just 10 percent were mobile phones, so keep that in mind.
* Some of the questions…
2. Do you have you a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Facebook?
• Favorable 30.52%
• Unfavorable 42.82%
• Undecided 26.65%
3. Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Google?
• Favorable 55.92%
• Unfavorable 19.95%
• Undecided 24.13%
I haven’t been on Facebook much since the election. Too much drama.
* Anway, more questions…
8. Do you approve or disapprove of corporations collecting, sharing, or selling for profit your personal information, such as your social security number, credit card number, race, religion, gender, or location?
• Approve 04.46%
• Disapprove 92.39%
• Undecided 03.15%
9. Do you approve or disapprove of corporations collecting, sharing, or selling your personal information, such as your social security number, credit card number, race, religion, gender, or location, without your knowledge?
• Approve 04.00%
• Disapprove 94.13%
• Undecided 01.87%
Kinda interesting that about the same number disapprove of this with or without their knowledge.
* A couple more…
10. Do you approve or disapprove of legislation that would require corporations to inform you about their on-line collection, sharing, or selling of your personal information, such as your social security number, credit card number, race, religion, gender, or location collected on their Web sites?
• Approve 66.20%
• Disapprove 28.81%
• Undecided 04.99%
14. Do you approve or disapprove of consumers being able to file a lawsuit against a corporation whose smart phone application tracks your personal movements, locations visited, and your travel activity without your consent?
• Approve 69.36%
• Disapprove 19.53%
• Undecided 11.11%
And there it is.
As I’ve said before, we have a budding high tech sector in this state. Reasonable statutory restrictions to ensure privacy are fine by me. But keep the trial lawyers out of the enforcement or we could kill the golden gosling. We’ve got enough problems here without doing that.